Faculty & Staff Travel Rates
|Meal||In State||Out of State|
|Breakfast||$8.30||$8.30 must depart prior to 6 a.m.|
|Lunch||$10.90||$10.90 must depart prior to noon, return after 2 p.m.|
|Dinner||$18.70||$21.30 must depart prior to 5 p.m., return after 8 p.m.|
Please note: Lunch is unavailable for one-day travel.
Ground Transportation - Personal Vehicles and Rental Vehicles
As per OSBM policies 5.1.26 and 5.1.27, "it is the intent of the State that state employee travel shall be conducted in the most efficient manner and at the lowest and most reasonable cost to the state. With regard to passenger vehicle travel, whether in- or out-of-state, agency travel policies shall:
- Maximize utilization of state-owned vehicles (agency-owned or agency-assigned vehicles owned by the Department of Administration),
- Make use of State term contracts for short-term rentals (State Term Contract 975B Vehicle Rental Services), and
- Reimburse for use of personal vehicles on a limited basis"
UNCA employees should consider the lowest cost option for their ground transportation when making their travel plans. Agency owned vehicles can be secured through the campus Motor Pool.
Personal vehicle transportation will be reimbursed at $0.54 cents per mile for roundtrips of 75 miles or less; $0.34 cents per mile for roundtrips of 76 miles or more.
Rental Vehicles must be obtained through the State's Term Contract. The following are the participating companies:
- Enterprise Rental - Account Number can be obtained from the Travel Office by contacting Catherine Mallon at extension 6243. Online reservations can be made here. To make reservations over the phone, call 1-800-RENT-A-CAR; you may use the local branches to make your reservations.
- Hertz Rental - Account Number can be obtained from the Travel Office by contacting Catherine Mallon at extension 6243. Online reservations can be made here. To make reservations over the phone, call 1-800-654-3131.
- National Car Rental - Account Number can be obtained from the Travel Office by contacting Catherine Mallon at extension 6243. To make reservations over the phone, call 1-800-CAR-RENT.
For full details and additonal information, a link to the State's Term Contract is here.
Travel Account Codes
|In State||Out of State||Out of Country||Non-Employees|
|731110 Trans/Air||731210 Trans/Air||731310 Trans/Air||731410 Trans/All|
|731120 Trans/Ground||731220 Trans/Ground||731320 Trans/Ground|
|731140 Lodging||731240 Lodging||731340 Lodging|
|731150 Meals||731250 Meals||731350 Meals||731440 Meals & Lodging|
|731160 Other||731260 Other||731360 Other|
|731190 Registration||731290 Registration||731390 Registration||731490 Training|
Per Diem Rates
- Airfare: Must have original airline passenger receipt ticket (no photocopies can be accepted).
- Lodging: Must have original receipts showing payment with a zero balance. Actual amount up to per diem rate listed above will be reimbursed. Any amount above the per diem must be pre-approved by the appropriate supervisor.
Allowances cannot be paid to employees for lunches if travel does not involve an overnight stay; however, employees can be eligible for allowances for the breakfast and evening meals when the mentioned guidelines are met.
Instructions for Travel Reimbursement
Travel Reimbursement and Travel Authorization forms are available on the forms page. If you travel for more than two days, a continuation sheet must be used for the extra days of travel. Authorization for Travel must be submitted, with appropriate signatures, to qualify for reimbursement of an overnight trip. It is important to complete all sections of the form, including name, address, dates and times of travel, the purpose for the trip, and most importantly all appropriate signatures. The proper budget fund number and account code should be included for each category of travel.
All forms need to be submitted within thirty days of travel.
Travel and Capital Improvements
The Travel and Capital Improvements office reports to the Controller and is responsible for both travel reimbursements and travel advances. The Travel Officer verifies that the forms are completed correctly and that all the documentation is present and valid to justify the reimbursement. She also tracks the travel advances that are received prior to travel. The Travel Officer is also responsible for capital improvement accounting and ensures that vendors receive payment after the appropriate university official has approved their invoices.
Advance Payment for Registration Fees, Hotels and Travel Agencies
Hotel, Travel Agency and conference registration payments may be paid to the vendor direct when the invoice or on-line form is submitted along with a copy of the Travel Authorization form and attached to an approved, completed check request. Direct pay eliminates the necessity of using personal funds. Individuals using personal funds to make an advance payment will not be reimbursed until completion of the trip or conference. This is a departmental budget control issue since the possibility exists that an individual might have to cancel a conference and receive reimbursement or credit from the agency after having already received a reimbursement check from the university.